Saturday, April 27, 2024

Sidereal Saigon

Dear Reader,

This is not a Fellow Wanderer entry, as I did by no means do any touristy activities in the past day.




Rather, this is a brief article to say that the masses were wrong: HCMC is definitely not too busy and "worse" than Hanoi.

This charming little place is hectic, for sure, but the sun beaming upon all the little street vendors, the men sprawled out on their motorbikes taking an afternoon nap, the sheets of plastic spread out for the locals to congregate in the evening, the welcome sound of people singing at night all helped to add some real character 🪷 

I found my hostel relatively easily (getting lost every subsequent time) and as there was no where to store my bags, I ate in the cafe and awaited the owner. Everyone was so lovely and the lady even explained all the different foods and how to pair them 🍜

Of course, I already filled you in on the egg coffee, which I ended up revisiting this morning, one last time. 

The hostel was cute, I met some nice people working there and I set off for a pamper sesh 💆

I went to Coco Care and had the single greatest massage of my life. YES. THAT'S RIGHT. The 90 minute "Coco" massage was a blend of Thai techniques, Balinese oil and traditional Vietnamese 💆‍♀️ and it rivaled Shamballa of Ubud and all the beach side extravaganzas I have been lucky enough to try.

Despite having my entire butt exposed for the duration of the massage, I was so relaxed that I dropped one of the hot stones which had been carefully placed in my hands. I also was stood on at one point... And to top it off I was lifted (yes, by this 115 pound Vietnamese lady) and my naked floppy body was cracked in one drastic sweep 💎

I walked out feeling that I had been exorcised of knots I had never known existed 💀 

Being my last day in Vietnam, I decided to wear my blue outfit which I had made in Hoi An... And I have never had some many compliments from women and (straight) men. I felt like a Queen 👑 

That picture. Again.



After some stereotypical Vietnamese cuisine, I hunted for a live music venue. I couldn't find anything that was my "scene". After a lot of walking, last on my list to try was Yoko bar. 

It ended up unravelling into the best 2 hours I spent in Vietnam. I was absolutely astounded by the level of talent. 

I was sad when the first singer "Bruce" stepped off because I thought I'd missed him and he was brilliant, but he came back later. And the man whom I had thought was drunk when I first came in, turned out to be another performer and was just getting pysched up! He also played the drums later on 🥁

The place was filled with Japanese, Vietnamese, foreigners, the young and the elderly. And me bobbing up and down at the back enjoying the best renditions of rock music I have ever witnessed 🎸

Yoko



At the end, they even came over to speak with me and thank ME for coming... I was like "YOU'RE THANKING ME?!" Unbelievable experience ✨ 



To top it off, I went up to the tiny roof of La Ca hostel, to cool off and lounge in the hammock, and ended up speaking for hours with "Stephen" (not his real name), and his friend Linh. Two Vietnamese friends on a weekend break, and a couple of the most endearing people I have met on my travels; full of interesting stories and beautiful auras 🕯️

So no, I don't have lots of photos. But I just wanted to give Ho Chi Minh City the credit it is due. Add this awesome venue to your Vietnamese itinerary and enjoy 😘

 Off to Cambodia we go!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Fellow Wanderer: New Zealand South Island Readings

Fellow Wanderer and Dear Reader, I bring you a hybrid entry.  I'm not bluffing.  I would like to share some recommendations for navigati...