Monday, April 1, 2024

Satnam 🪷

 

Selamat Pagi, Dear Reader, 


It's incredible to think that I have now been in Indonesia for almost two months... having intended to be basking in the sun of some Pacific island, expecting to be on a very different kind of path full of exploring, visiting another part of the world... 


The Banyan Tree at Yoga Barn


Having never planned to be here makes the whole journey even more blissful. That I would have found so much peace, joy and love over the past few weeks here has really been overwhelming. 


Returning to Bali back in February, a place I already felt familiar with, having just completed such an epic New Zealand solo adventure, was very interesting. Touching down in Denpasar's chaotic and ridiculously hot airport was no different from the laborious post-covid processes that greeted me upon my initial arrival to this country. 

But travelling through the streets and seeing the familiar shape of the roads, intricate statues and dark shadows of beautiful green leaves at night, instantly brought about a sense of nostalgia, which lasted throughout my first few days back in Ubud.


 

It was a pleasure to reminisce as I walked through the streets, this time with my mum, pointing out the cafes and shops that I remember visiting with my fellow yogis... primarily Miss Roxi and Sithara 💙✨ Having previously left Bali prematurely in a state of longing for Sri Lanka, I was pleasantly surprised at how much joy I was feeling from being back in familiar Ubud. 

And being reunited with my friend, Fresty, in the same hostel 2 years later... well that was just a crazy twist of the universe. Such a nice catch up with such a happy and vibrant person. More adventures to come there I am sure. Thank you to NamaStay hostel and the adorable Ayu 🩷

Friday with Fresty 💕


Then the overwhelming sense of purpose and meaning which befell me under the heavy rain in Riverdome, basking in the Kindness of a Stranger and the union of energy within those walls. The ecstasy which exuded from the Shadow dance preceded an incredible few weeks 🖤


Arriving back in Ubud from Gili Air was difficult. Of course there were ulterior motives for the exact timing of my departure, which turned out to be fruitless. However, the Island was giving me a gentle hug goodbye, letting me know that my time there for that moment was now over. I vow to return one day, when that moment is right again 🌙

Gili Air Bovine


Being reunited with a kindred spirit from Air was a warm and welcome encounter for my first day back in "society". It also served as a sweet reminder that everything plays out how it should. Indeed, we will be heading to Ha Noi for an adventure this week... of course our visas are ending on the same day! 


Then by another twist of fate, I meet my lovely friend from my skydiving adventure in Queenstown... who I had forgotten would be in Ubud with her two friends at this time! I was never supposed to be here after all. 

The makeshift woman's circle which we had after my Kundalini class (and first class back in Yoga Barn) was beautiful. Exchanging stories and laughter with these warm, fabulous women was a welcome treat and gave me the continued solidarity which seems to be a theme of these past months. 



***

More to come on the New Zealand adventures soon, Dear Reader... 🇳🇿

***

Of course, queuing for my Hot Lemon Ginger Honey tea (which everyone wants as soon as they see it), I never expected someone from my High School to come up to me - a girl from a different year, who used to be so quiet that I barely remembered her, but who was now so kind and friendly to come and say hello after over a decade. Indeed we had a proper catch up over lunch the following day, after I was chatting with another lost soul who looked to be feeling similar things. Happy encounters 💛

I met another girl from the Island in Ubud who led me to explore the Sweet Orange Tree walk... where I bought some ridiculously overpriced fruit but which then led to a cheap but delicious papaya juice, so there's the yin and yang for you... 


Another papaya juice experience worth mentioning (yes, I am obsessed and yes in the quiz "which fruit are you?" I got papaya as my answer) is from Cafe Wayan. Failing to get to a Moon or Cacao ceremony as they were sold out, and having perfected my "whites", looking like a hippy princess (also a little like a cult member), I decided to treat myself to the best Nasi Campur Vegetarian in Ubud. This is also where mum and I did a cooking class only a few weeks earlier. And going even further back, it's the last meal I had with the lovely Sithara ✨ 



A profound highlight would have to be seeing Ape Chimba perform live at Zest. Dancing the night away to their extraordinary New Age orgasmic music - okay that's maybe overly descriptive, but you'll see what I mean if you give them a listen and imagine for a second that you are hearing it live... They are absolutely incredible artists and I made sure that I looked like a Shakti goddess that night, as did my gorgeous kindred spirit, Sasha. Freaking glitter, sexy slits in the skirts, even an Elf hood. 


To be in a crowd full of people who were just a weird as us, with no drunkenness and no drugs... Just good vibes and freaky moves to the weird and wonderful sounds pulsating through the air 🎶

That was really the only thing I did this week, aside from eating in a new place every day and reading a lot, between yoga practices. I met some nice people among my solitude and had some lovely conversations with a Luxembourgish lady and Iraqi guy. Mostly, I enjoyed walking through the markets and taking in the glorious sights of Balinese grins, the sweet scents from the offerings and the constant buzz from the motorbikes. 

As for the yoga, I have to mention the creative and dynamic vinyasa flows by Carlos Romero, who just leaves me feeling yummy at the end of every class. It also felt really nice to have him compliment my arm balances and some of the more advanced poses - ego returning to the earth now, don't worry... 😇

Bathing myself in the Gong meditation and Kundalini class once again, conjured a sense of nostalgia and ignited the first few steps of healing (again). 

This practice is evermore engaging. Combing intense breath work, bizarre asanas, mudras, chanting and singing is so joyous. I feel real pleasure and genuine happiness as I close my eyes for the duration of the practice and turn inward, singing my heart out and feeling the energy flow freely along my spine, mingling among that of my fellow yogis and culminating in an exquisite, powerful union. Gregory's classes have provided path of light in the darkness...

Yoga for yoda


I recall at some point in the past two years, wanting to be in Ubud to just do yoga non stop for a few days. And the universe gave me this chance. I am once again filled with gratitude.

Attending the ecstatic dance, contorting beneath the stars and even hanging upside down in Fly High yoga showed me that I can do anything that I put my mind to. The limitations only exist where I place them and the power to overcome lies within 🌟

Indy Part II is coming to an end. For now. I will absolutely be returning. Indonesia (rather than just Bali) has now become one of my top 3 favourite countries... 

So for the good stuff, here are my top Ubud recommendations: 


⭐ Massage at Shambala - the entire experience is wonderful, plus they give you an adorable snack and tea afterward. Everything is pretty and it's away from the street. Just go.



⭐ Pesona Lounge - weird Balinese/Indian hybrid but very cute and tasty food & lassis

⭐ Sinamon Bali Ubud - best Chai latte ever and awesome cinnamon bun (Easter treat, don't judge). Also the staff are really lovely here



⭐ Shine by Ashamaya - far too expensive but staff are nice... go here to enter full goddess mode and treat yourself (some guy stuff too, but very festival vibes)

⭐Stay at NamaStay for a quiet, calm and basic hostel or hotel experience - you'll feel like part of the family

⭐Yoga Barn - I know that it is too busy for some people and maybe too many white people or whatever but I have to say that the variety of classes, the quality of teaching and even the venue itself is marvellous in my opinion (trying to mix up the adjectives here). I would recommend a 5 class pass to try a few different things and see where it takes you! 

Reading spot at the cafe


I do have one day left, so maybe there will be some more excitement to follow, but I think that it is so nice to reflect on the fact that as I write this, two years ago to this day, I first arrived in Bali for my YTT 200 Hours...


Goddess Mode Activated.


🪷 Satnam 🪷







No comments:

Post a Comment

Fellow Wanderer: New Zealand South Island Readings

Fellow Wanderer and Dear Reader, I bring you a hybrid entry.  I'm not bluffing.  I would like to share some recommendations for navigati...